From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:05:11 -0500
Adrienne Smith wrote:

> Do humans utilize plant sources of calcium as well as animals?

I'm not sure how useful it is to divide critters into just two types:
humans and animals. But anyway, I think we do utilize calcium perfectly
well, provided that we have plenty of vitamin D. Even the supplement-mad
Dr. Atkins says he generally doesn't recommend calcium pills (unless you
have osteoporosis) since it is in so many foods. He also says that to
hold onto your calcium you need to be sure you're getting enough
magnesium, and that you are not acidifying your blood with too many carbs.