From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:10:05 -0600
>> I need some info to pass on about how microwaving our food  destroys and denatures food values.

Ahhh, one of my favorite psuedo-science issues.

Truth be told, *any* cooking destroys and denatures food values to various degrees (no pun intended :).

I've read many articles decrying the use of microwaves specifically, but they all fall down when faced with science. Heating of anything is simply the result of highly agitated or "nervous" molecules (they start shaking or vibrating at an increased frequency). There's nothing special or magical about microwaves. Fire does the same thing.

>>there may be super heated points within the food which could cause the formation of transfats if there are >>fats present

A definite possibility I suppose, but one has to wonder how quickly this could occur. Do transfats result from quick heating of fat, or long term heating? I'm not sure...