Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:42:04 -0600
Thanks Ben,

         Whilst researching NZ lamb (which does appear to be entirely grass
fed), I came across the following site and thought people on this group
might find it interesting:

         http://grassfarmer.com/homepage.html

         Cove Mt. farm is interesting because they are testing an economic
model:

         "If Cove Mt. Farm is successful, it can be used to show farmers
and landowners that there is an alternative to the conventional wisdom of
"get big or get out." For a modest investment, a farmer or a landowner can
seed land to grasses and legumes, build a new milking facility and make a
good net profit by milking a herd of 100 to 150 cows. Best of all, this can
be done on a property 100 to 200 acres in size close to an urban area.
Because dairy graziers have the ability to maintain well cared for, working
landscapes that so many folks desire, in the future skilled grass farmers
may be in great demand."

         Katrina.