Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 09:39:14 -0700
A gentleman recently posted a very interesting bit to a toiletries mail
list I subscribe to. I thought it was a good comment from which some
Paleo thoughts could be extracted...

<<Phyto estrogens are widespread throughout the plant world. They can
be
substituted for the normal estrogenic substances found in our human
bodies, though they do not function the same. Since they arewidespread,
our bodies have mechanisms to cope with them at low level exposures.
This would the exposure levels that consumers have when using GSE
preserved products.
BUT, high level exposures to phyto-estrogens can cause serious
reproductive problems. Plants produce phyto-estrogens to protect
themselves from over-grazing. Basically, if the animals can'treproduce,
they can't eat you :-)
Over-exposure to phyto-estrogens in sheep grazing on phyto-estrogen
laced plants lead to miscarriages, birth defects, lactation anomalies
and low fertility rates. In males, it leads to low sperm counts and
ejaculate volumes. In juveniles, it adversely effects the developmentof
reproductive systems. Lab studies have confirmed these results.  See
http://www.tmc.tulane.edu/ECME/eehome/basics/phytoestrogens/