From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:43:18 -0500
We have discussed organic food on this list but I don't recall references to the 'slow food'
movement.  Although neither of these two movements are Paleo, the achievement of their
objectives will certainly be to the advantage of those who value easier access to paleo foods.

I have posted a paleo-oriented introduction to organic foods at:
http://www.evfit.com/organic.htm

Now here is a good introduction to the slow food movement:
http://www.newstatesman.com/Life/200501010032
published on 1 January.

The Slow Foodies are broadly in the tradition of Sally Fallon's book "Nourishing Traditions" which
gathers together techniques and recipes which exemplify the European diets described favourably
by Weston Price in the 1930s.

'Slow food' is, of course, in opposition to 'fast food', and fast food is definitely un-paleo.  Paleo
foods were generally (1) eaten on the run (fruit or greens that were ripe when peckish people
passed, or freshly-killed flesh eaten or blood drunk when on the move) or (2) eaten in a leisurely
way by the extended family group after the day's hunting/gathering, or (3) eaten in a ceremonial
or feasting context.  It is from the last two of these that the slow food movement might be said to
have its origins.

'Slow food' endeavours to return food to its central place in our culture, surrounding it with
leisurely conviviality and where the gatherers, producers and cooks are celebrated and share the
meal. This stands in contrast to fast food, in which the producers are hidden and the main
celebration is of low price and prompt delivery.

Anyway, read on at the New Statesman site and – perhaps – become one of the 80,000 plus
members of the slow food movement in 107 countries.  All paleo food eaters will benefit.

Keith