From:
Erik Fridén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:17:10 +0100
Eva Hedin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
"if it is left too long it dissolves and gets a bit slimy and it wobbles. At that time it is nice to have some bechamel gravy to get through the experience"

Here we go again: "get through the experience", as though it were an ordeal. Lutefisk should be slightly wobbly, shouldn't it? (Emphasis on "slightly").

"lye fish is not eaten with bacon i Scania where I come from. I always thought it was a Halland/Bohuslän habit"

Bacon in Bohuslän!!!? NEVER heard of it! I was always told it was a South Swedish habit. Maybe it varies from family to family or district to district?
Erik F.

PS: I just asked my southern-Bohuslän wife, and she said they eat bacon in the north of Bohuslän, where the population basically still consists of assimilated Norwegians. About Halland I can only speculate, but the absence of bacon in the middle coastal-area around Gothenburg might have to do with cultural intrusion from "core-Sweden", "the heart of the country" being somewhat culturally different from the southern and western areas nicked from Norway and Denmark in the 17th century. The people in Bohuslän do not generally have saffron in their Lucy-day buns either, for instance.