From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 10:20:40 -0800
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 07:25:16 -0400, matesz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Ken Stuart wondered how the "World Scientists Warning to Humanity" was
>relevant to this this.
>
>I had not meant to be "patronizing" at all.

It's not conscious on your part, or on the part of people who send "Virus
warnings" about viruses that don't exist, or who forward email to all the
mailing lists about "Internet Tax Bills" that don't exist.

To be patronizing means that one is acting as the parent.

"You'd better save the planet" is the same sort of statement as "You'd better
wear your jacket so you don't catch cold".

All of these "warning" messages implies that we are astute enough to overcome 30
years of media propaganda regarding our diet, but that we don't have a clue
about the rest of our lives - whether it be the state of the environment, the
government's intentions regarding the internet, or what viruses are making the
rounds.

--
Cheers,

Ken