From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:46:20 -0500
Thanks so much for the tips Wade.  I actually had a copy of NHE that I
bought several years ago and lent it out to someone and never got it back.
I felt so bloated from the carb-ups that at the time, I decided the program
wasn't for me -- perhaps I made a premature decision. I realize he said
that you can use fruit as part of the carb up but he claims that starches
work better and the starchy  carb-up choices such as yams (arguably sort of
paleo but I don't like them very much) , rice, pasta etc did not seem paleo
to me.  I also recall thinking that once one is sufficiently fat adapted,
there is no "need" for carbs so I thought that the carb-ups would keep me
from being fat adapted. I'm now thinking that there has to be a reason for
my continued inability to reach goal weight and the metabolic slow-down
seems like a reasonable theory.  I'm like you in that I tend to feel very
comfortable without many carbs -- I don't "crave" starches, etc.  The
frusteration comes in with the prolonged stalls and then I just adopt a
negative what the heck attitude.
I've experimented with different permutations of the paleo diet such as
high protein/low saturated fat; moderate protein/high saturated fat; and
unlimited versus limited fruit.  I definitely feel more energetic and
satisfied with a moderate protein/high saturated fat/very low carb/limit
fruit to 1 serving of berries max -- but even that doesn't seem to get me
to my goals.   I can usually drop VERY SLOWLY -- 1/2 pound per week or
every other week
and then that stalls out invariably at about the 3 month mark. Anyway, I'm
definitely doing something wrong because I'm not getting the results I want.