From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 1999 08:56:37 +0200
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>In the Oriental cultures where soy has been eaten long enough to be

>linked with
>long life spans, it is usually eaten in combination with other

foods,
>particularly fish broth.   Clearly fish broth is high in some

>minerals,
>especially calcium.   Perhaps that practiced started due to some

>experience with
>soy eaten on its own...

Ken, I'm far from beeing an advocate for soy. Meanwhile
I know i'm allergic to it and stopped eating it since long.
I'm not missing it at all. I consider it (especially some products)
more as a "beginners" food for people trying to avoid meat.
In addition we do know,that soy has such a high outcome
of protein per acre as no other food
(38 times that of grassland beef),
so it seems inevitable in nourishing densely populated areas like
asia.

Ok, whatever is with soy there *are* some interesting things about

it:
1) the soy lectins are reported to have anti-cancer properties
by agglutinating the (faster growing) cancel cells.
I think this is an interesting aspect of lectins, and an explanation
why human gut lets pass some of it through intestinal walls.
 (see my ref 1)
2) the phytates seem not only to be antinutritiants.
  For humans posessing the digestion enzyme phytase, they may turn
  into a benefit even.
  (see my ref 2... the whole question 38 now)
  Searching in the internet about phytase mostly ended into some
  animal "producer" stuff, praising how good it was.
  But that's my question, however: Who knows some news
  about phytases?? If biotin can be made through it:
  Biotin *is* of interest too. It is not that easily available.
  Body can make it from protein (tryptophan) only if sufficient
  Vitamin B6 is available...

>I know this may have been oblique to your point, but I thought I

>would point out
>that simply because something is in a FAQ doesn't necessarily make

>it accurate.
Of course such a FAQ isn't a good reference one could back up to.
It just gave the right hint. I'm still searching for the
phytase *references* (not derived from rats or pigs).

regards

Amadeus