From:
Craig Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:11:09 -0400
Amadeus wrote:

>> Hmmph.  Tonight is Walpurgisnacht, *tomorrow* is Beltane/May Day!
>>
>> .:. Craig
>
>That's the common thinking. The text above indicates that Walpurgisnacht
>is just
>a recent christian invention to replace the older celtic rites (Walpurga
>died 777 AD).
>The customs assicoated with the night before may-day seem to indicate
>very old roots.
>My celtic lexicon however sais the first of may is Beltaine (mentioning
>Walpurga).
>In the ancient germanic culture the new day always begins with the night
>before. Maybe celtic tribes saw it in the same way.

You misunderstand me.

Beltane is indeed May Day, which is tomorrow.  And the feastday
of Walpurga, a mythical saint, was indeed an attempt to supplant
Beltane with a Christian celebration.

But in the ancient world---in both Celtic and Christian tradition
---the feastday officially began the night *before* the day-long
celebration (which is why Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve and
Halloween are such big deals).  So Walpurgisnacht--- Walpurgis
Night, or the Eve of the feast of St. Walpurgis--- occurs on
April 30, not May 1.

Sorry, I seem to have strayed very far from Paleo eating.  So
tonight, in honor of Beltane, I shall have a good ol' protopagan
feast, with Spring Lamb and Spring Asparagus!

.:. Craig