From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:14:20 +0200
Hans Kylberg wrote:
>>Well, he thinks to have found that humans

>>had 3 main
>>>"out of africa" events..
>>>1.homo erectus (who has been found in many

>>parts of the world)
>>2.homo neanderthalensis
>>3.anatomically modern humans (us)
>>Why did they leave anyway? Since it was

>>>seemingly not harsher,
>>>and enough food was found there.

>Silly question (probably made up to suit the

>silly answer)!
>They are still there. Just some left, because

>as a species gets
>more individuals, they need more space.

That Dr. Klars theory was based on the fact,
(he sais the fossil record has shown),
that the africa emigration(s) were *not*
because more individuals needed more space,
but seemingly a population left its area
following (or avoiding) climatic changes.

Of course in africa still are humans but they
may be part of a re-immigration of the last
wave of Cro-Magnons comeing back after the
conditions were better.

At least, we know that homo erectus, and
homo neanderthalensis  and
the various australopethines
did become extinct...

However if this theory is right...
I wouldn't dare to judge. He himself
declares it to be a theory
(nice and a little funny IMHO :-) )

Aaron Felker wrote
>You said:
>TseTse-fly won't see them, but lions probably

>better.(re: zebras and their stripes)

>I don't think that a zebra's stripes have

>anything to do with tsetse flies
>seeing them.  The stripes are a group

>oriented camouflage that is especially
>usefull to a herd animal.  When the zebras

>are grouped together (as they
>usually are) it can be somewhat difficult to

>pick out *one* zebra, which is
>precisely what most predators are looking to

>do.  That is, to find a likely
>prospect and isolate it.

That may be.. same is reported from fish and
birds comeing in swarms.

By accident, that tse-tse-fly explanation of
zebras stripes had beed repeated today
in the morning in the radio.

If tsetse-flies weren't able to see zebra at
the horizon it definately would be an
advantage to have them.
If it would protect against lions attacking
herds - annother advantage.

Hmm but all other herd animals i remember
(e.g. gnus) have a different approach:

camouflage by inconspicuous colours/designs.

What striked me  is the supposed similiarity
of the organ -spleen- in horses and humans.

regards, Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net