From:
Frances Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 20:25:08 +0100
>Date:    Tue, 7 Oct 2003 03:37:25 -0700
>From:    Mike Dilger <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: average life expectancy was Containers

>Skeletal remains show that most paleolithic people died quite young.
>Life was hard back then.

I would like to know how they age the death of a paleolithic skeleton. Its not
as if they had just one skeleton that they knew the age s/he died at.

Is it not possible that the bone structures were much hardier and look like
young skeletons when compared to what is known about modern skeletons. Sorry
if this comes across naive - but I don't see how we can accept this as a fact
- that paleo man lived a short life. If you read the pre agricultural (paleo)
bits in the Bible - it talks about people living for 700 - 1000 years. So do a
lot of the Greek legends. And no I am not suggesting that paleo eaters will
live this long - only that people did have long lives. I think that accepting
parrot fashion that most died young may be clouding our knowledge.

Fran

   Scotland's Free Internet Service Provider