From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:29:40 -0500
You know, I'm so used to hearing how great olive oil is that I
never bothered to check for myself, until after this morning's
instructive experience with rapeseed/canola oil.  Anyway, olive
oil turns out to have a w6:w3 ratio of 13:1, which is almost
twice that of soybean oil.  Yes, it's rich in monounsaturates
but that omega ratio can hardly be considered favorable.  Canola
oil is almost as high in monounsaturates, but has a *much* better
omega ratio.

In addition, as I continue to look at articles about canola and
the Brassica family of greens from which the oil-rich hybrids are
made, it is increasingly clear that these are edible plants that
humans have been using for a long time, many of them native to
norhtern Africa and the Middle East.  What makes this research
complicated is the fact that canola oil is typically produced
from hybrids of different varieties of Brassica; there is no
single combination that is used exclusively.

Todd Moody