From:
"Ron Hoggan, Ed. D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:55:28 -0700
Hi Ken,
He says: "Generally, most people do quite well healthwise on 2-3 servings of
grain products per day. Clearly, cereal grains and agriculture allowed for
the dramatic worldwide human population expansion that has occurred in the
past 10,000 years since the advent of agriculture." That sounds like
affirmation to me.

In the statement quoted above, Cordain assumes:
1. We are locked into cereal grains to stave off starvation;
2. Cereal grains facilitated worldwide population expansion.

As I see it, both of these assumptions are flawed. Genetics tell us that
humans had spread throughout the world before the advent of the neolithic.
While dramatic population growth accompanied cereal grain cultivation, it
may not have been the only factor. It may not even have been the driving
force behind this enormous population growth.

Further, if you look at the enormous tracts of land currently used to
cultivate grains, there are many other foods that could be grown instead of
grains in most of these areas. More intensive farming could produce
enormously greater quality and quantities of vegetables and fruits. It would
take an enormous paradigm shift to do so, but to take the position that
there just isn't any alternative is, I think, incorrect.

Best Wishes,
Ron