From:
tsayonah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:04:46 -0500
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> Science discovered that the disease *can* be transferred to humans and there
> are dozends of cases where humans got the variant of Creutzfeld-Jakob which
> must be seen as the bovine variant.
>
> Your count of 115 cases could be the count of BSE in *humans*.
>
> Since transferability has been discovered beef-eating got a bad rep over
> here. Although in Germany in the years 2000 to 2002 we had only 192
> certified cases of BSE (mad cow disease).

The news media, whom I no longer trust, have given me the
idea that this is spread amongst cattle both by association
and thru the feeding of recycled animal protein.  This is
why eating "infected" beef can give people the disease.  Am
I being simplistic in thinking that this wouldn't have
become near the problem it is if humans in their wisdom
weren't trying to feed herbivores on animal protein?  I
would welcome any needed education from this list whose
members seem to have a lot more reliable information than
the TV and newspaper.  Thanks.

--
   Elisi Tsayonah, AniWodi, ghigau,
   St Francis River Band of Cherokee