From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 18:39:31 -0700
Hi Mike,
Lumping red and processed meats together was a most unfortunate choice, if
the researchers really wanted clear data. I'm guessing that it was not
lumped together in the questionnaire, but I don't know since I have only
read media releases, not the research report.

That said, the research strategy of mixing two independent variables
obfuscates the results. It is impossible to tell whether:
1. Processed meats caused all of the excess deaths;
2. Red meats caused all of the excess deaths;
3. Another, unknown variable, not considered in the research caused all of
the excess deaths;
4. Some combination of red, processed, and an unknown variable caused all of
the excess deaths.

Perhaps the only way they could get a statistically significant result was
to combine red and processed meats. I don't know. However,
questionnaire-type research is notoriously weak. Also, dietary recall
studies are notoriously misleading. The results from such a combination
study, regardless of numbers, should be viewed with more than a little
skepticism.

Conventional dietary wisdom has many such deeply flawed studies for its
support. Since you are in Canada, just look at the new Canada Food Guide. It
continues to recommend that we eat more whole grain foods and dairy products
than any other food groups. Current research shows that 1% of the general
population has celiac disease and 10-12% of the population tests positive
for gluten sensitivity. Similarly, about two thirds of the world's adult
population is lactose intolerant. Current research also reveals that casein
allergy is common, although accurate estimates are difficult to come by.

In total, the recommendations are for us to consume more of two food groups
that are also two of the most allergenic in our food supply. Just how solid
can the science behind these recommendations be? I can tell you that in
1942, the Canadian government issued its first food guide. It was an
adaptation of the USDA guide from almost 10 years earlier, with only minor
modifications.

Frankly, I think that too many of our elected, Canadian government
officials, have been so busy politicking, pandering to cronies ($7 million
in bonuses to managers of the CPP investment fund that lost $24 billion
during the same period) and taking bribes (e.g.: Mulroney) that they just
haven't had the time to do the research and come up with a guide that
reflects only the science. Even if they had taken the time to do so, would
you take dietary advice from Harper, Mulroney, or the authors of adscam? I'd
rather do my own research and trust my own judgment.

Since you've read Taubes' book, Cordain's book, and Stefansson's "Fat of the
Land" you only have half of the picture. The next step is to look at the
health impacts of gluten and dairy. I recommend Jane Plant's book on dairy
products and their impact on cancer, as well as my own book, "Dangerous
Grains" by James Braly and Ron Hoggan. The latter is published by Penguin on
their Avery imprint.

Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan