From:
Kathy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:38:28 -0500
At 11:00 AM 12/20/99 MST, you wrote:
>Hope I'm not wearing out my welcome, but I had to share some good news with
>my fellow listers.  Chuck, you said....
>
>>As far as mainstream media is concerned, I doubt you will see many of the
>>popular magazines, touting the benefits of a paleo diet any time soon. The
>>fad is still low-fat, high carb diets...<
>
>Don't count your eggs too soon!  True, paleo isn't a household word, but
>Atkins, Protein Power, Zone, etc are EVERYWHERE!  This is a list of stories
>I've seen & read just over the last six weeks or so:  Time Magazine cover
>story, 20/20, DateLine NBC (twice), the Denver Post, local newscasts
>(twice), the Oprah Winfrey Show and The Rosie O'Donnel show.  Why?  As the
>Time story pointed out, the top 4 books on the NY Times Bestseller List in
>one category were all low-carb diet books.  With "NeanderThin" now at Barnes
>& Noble, mainstream stories are just around the corner.  Remember, Cordain
>was highlighted recently by DateLine NBC.  Hold on to your hats!

A couple of weeks ago, the Drs. Heller put out a call on the CASupport list
for volunteers to be interviewed for an upcoming article on carb addiction
in, I believe, Women's Day magazine. And there was a recent segment on one
of the news shows about Syndrome X and carbs and *for once* they
interviewed somebody besides Atkins - they interviewed Barry Sears of The
Zone. I felt the piece wasn't entirely accurate but, still, it's progress!

I do think the one-size-fits-all low fat approach is *finally* on its way
out.

Kathy
mailto:[log in to unmask]