From:
Fawn Bales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:11:42 -0500
>Of course our Paleo ancestors didn't have a salt shaker on their stone
>tables, but I will point out again as I have before, that we have salt
>receptors on our tongues that I do not believe were "put there" for no
>reason. Maddy Mason

And what else than something we needed and craved would force us into
hunting and gathering from something as unpredictable and dangerous as
the sea?  Early man did harvest seaweed, sea vegetables, crabs and fish
from the sea.

Salt is so important to the human diet that it eventually became a
staple of early trade and a form of "money".  Also was used for meat
preservation.  Other animals crave salt too, hence the "saltlick".  Our
pets lick it from our skin when we are sweaty.

My guess is that our paleo ancestors grabbed salt whenever they could
from whatever source they could find (dried seabeds, sea vegetation and
seafood).

Fawn