Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 20:00:55 -0400
Dori Zook said:
I'm shooting for (and by and large hitting the target)...
60-65g protein/day
70-75g fat/day
20-25g carb/day

I'd call that closing in on 50% fat, but then I'm lousy at math.

Reply:
Dori, your diet is more than 50% fat by calories.
It comes out to 25% protein/65 to 66% fat/8% carbs.

60 to 65 grams of protein = 240 to 260 calories
70 to 75 grams fat = 630 to 675 calories
20 to 25 grams carbs= 80 to 100 calories from carbs

Your calorie total = 950 to 1035 per day.  That caloric intake is a weight
loss diet diet appropriate for somone who weighs 95 to 104 pounds.  Since
you have said you weigh considerably more than this, the diet you are on is
likely to suppress thyroid function and lose lean mass.  A higher potassium,
lower sodium diet, with more food overall and more potassium rich food would
be much healthier and therefore more effective at helping you achieve a
healthy body weight.

It is recommended that you never go below 10 calories per pound of body
weight.  Going below 1200 calories a day is dangerous.... you can't meet
your nutritional needs on such a regimen and this can also halt fat loss.

Rachel