From:
Keith Waymark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 08:48:22 -0800
Hi people,
    We are Carey & Keith Waymark. We are fiftyish, live in Vancouver,
BC, and have had a (life) long interest in diet as it pertains to human
health and well-being.
    Carey was diagnosed with Chronic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis over
20 years ago and it is progressing chronically in accordance with the
diagnosis. While the MS is not *the* reason for exploring diet and
health, it certainly adds an extra incentive. Because of hand/arm tremor
and weakness, Carey is unable to type and so Keith is the *voice* here.
    Our explorations in diet have taken us to vegetarianism, vegan,
fruitarianism and even to the consideration of breatharianism. (but only
considered) :) Of particular interest for some time has been the Dr.
Swank diet used for people with MS.
    An article in a local paper recently, regarding the Paleo diet and
MS led us to this group and the various other sites about Paleo and we
have been dutifully soaking up as much info as we can find on the
subject. We have lots of questions, but since we are still wading
through the archives, will hold off until completion of that (enjoyable)
task.
    To say the least, we are very impressed with the theory behind the
diet. For most of my life one question I have continually asked with
respect to diet is, "What is normal for man?" Like others, we *wanted*
to believe that meat was not natural and thus dismissed any pointers in
that direction. i.e. Eskimos must have been forced to eat meat because
of the harsh climate that for some reason they were forced to endure by
circumstance. With the blinders ripped off, this diet makes *total*
sense.
    We have begun the diet, or our version of it as we understand it at
this point. And so far we are very satisfied with the results, though
we've only been at it a few days.
    I suppose the biggest question in our mind at the moment is just
what proportions of meat/vegies/nuts/fruit is *right*. I have to think
that if we just let our selves loose on those food groups our bodies
will let us know what is right, however, we would be interested in any
feed-back in that area.
    Just a thought on "What would happen if the whole world went Paleo?"
question. It seems to me that it would, initially, be a disaster. Isn't
the world's large population entirely attributable to agriculture? I
can't imagine Canada shipping meat instead of grain to Asia in the
quantities we ship grain! In the long run, I would think that a whole
world on Paleo would be a world whereby the human population would have
to decrease substantially in order to reach a point where it would be in
balance with the rest of nature. A very uplifting thought!
    We've enjoyed reading your posts over the last few days and look
forward to getting to know you all better.

Keith & Carey