From:
Marishka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:42:24 -0500
Robin Fritche wrote:

> question:  how detrimental would daily or even occasional skim milk
> consumption be to the overall benefits of eating Paleo?

In her book Enter Whining, Fran Drescher said that once Marilu Henner came to
dinner and Fran asked her how it was that she looked so great so soon after
giving birth.  Marilu said that she had eliminated all dairy foods from her
diet.  She said, "If you want to see the weight drop off, have boundless energy,
a faster metabolic rate, and reduce significantly any allergies you might be
suffering from, you'll try it, and within six months, you won't believe the
changes."  Fran dropped milk and dairy products and reported, "It's everything
she claimed it would be, and then some.  My skin got thinner, my face got
clearer, and much to my relief, I don't crave cheese."

Also, in The Bodybuilder's Nutrition Book, Franco Columbu commented on why he had
given up yogurt which he had eaten on a daily basis for many years.  "For
bodybuilders, a diet high in yogurt can sabotage the best training program in the
world.  Yogurt, like most dairy products, causes a layer of fat to form beneath
the skin and results in a loss of definition.  I came to realize this only after
many years of competition.  To reach my goal of pure muscularity without a trace
of fat, it was necessary to give up yogurt."

One of the most interesting studies I have seen on milk was one conducted by the
National Dairy Council.  They fed one group of post-menopausal women three 8-oz
glasses of milk per day for one year.  The researchers then compared these women
with a control group that did not drink milk for a year.  The women fed the milk
consumed more than 1,400 milligrams of calcium per day and still remained in
negative calcium balance.  They also lost bone at twice the rate of those who did
not receive the extra calcium!

You might miss milk at first but the benefits of going completely paleo are so
fabulous that you won't miss it for long.

L'shalom,

Marishka