From:
Ingrid Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:17:24 -0800
So now the dilemma is paying through
>your nose or having meat that is full of antibiotics.

It is something that we will have to face. The price of food have been
artificially lowered since the advent of chemical farming . It seems to
boost yield but at the price of lost of fertility, necessating more and more
of artificial substances to maintain yield thru the years. The value of food
( what sustain our bodies) have been drastically reduced. Most of the
peoples in a city lost complete connection with the environment that sustain
them . They don't have any clue about what is really required to have
carrots to eat on the table . We really need to revalue what a carrot . If
prices get too high ,it is just needed to demonstrate to your self and
others that they are too high by growing or raising at a fairer price. That
will be an opening to more and more people being more in charge of THEIR
relationship with the environment. That sounds good to me . Overwise let the
few percents of farmers with the few scientists behind to decide what goes
in our plate. I don't know about you but thank you i don't swallow it
anymore. And i pay the price.

>How did others solve this problem?
>Hunting for my own meat is not possible here.
  Any suggestions?

YOu have to see it as a process, it took us decades to reach that insane
situation , just start small , 1 start your own food production ( from few
sprouts and  few insects to an nut and fruit orchard with animals living
underneath).
2 connect personally  with some small farmers and help them to produce what
you want. No farmers want really to produce crap. (they do it because the
whole economic system is set up that way , and low prices being the main
agent)
3 start your own alternative economy by trading with other paleos productor
of real food.
Or starting the ITHACA model of money based on time instead of nobody know
what? It is local economy .www.lightlink.com/ithacahours
That helps to really know what you buy.
On our 12000 inhabitants island this system is starting and i get my organic
beef in exchange for saltspringhours bills, i propose myself my services on
natural farming or  child care and my support to people who want to change
their diet .
jean-claude