From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 12:23:19 -0500
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:02:48 -0800, Lurisia Dale <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> http://diabetes.about.com/library/mendosagi/nmendosagi.htm
>>
>>     Lynnet
>
>Lynnet,
>
>I found something disturbing in the above link, in the "What About Protein
and
>Fat?" section:
>
>"Of much greater concern is how protein and fat affect blood glucose
levels in
>the long term," Jennie Brand-Miller of the University of Sydney writes
me. "High
>fat and high protein diets have the distinct potential to induce insulin
>resistance, which would mean that any carbohydrate eaten would raise blood
>glucose and insulin levels to greater heights on a day to day basis.
However,
>the type of fat may be important here. A recent study in Diabetologia
showed
>that moderately high MUFA [monounsaturated fatty acids] diets improved
insulin
>sensitivity, if the fat was less than a certain level (higher than 37% was
>associated with insulin resistance)."
>
>I'm guessing you do not agree with the above.  I was curious what your
thoughts
>were, and if you have any counter-references.  Knowing what I know about
paleo,
>it certainly does not ring true to me either...

The quote above does indicate how much carbohydrate was contained in the 37%
+ monosaturated fat meals.  I think that perhaps fat gets the blame
for "potentially" causing insulin resistance when in fact it could be the
combo of fat and too many carbs that cause insulin resistance.  Overfat
Type 2 diabetics for instance are already insulin resistant.  Therefore, if
a high saturated fat diet were increase the insulin resistance problem, one
would expect that such a diet would not result in weight/fat loss.
However, according to the Hays study reference in the link below, fat type
2 diabetics lost weight, excess fat quite readily on an extremely high
saturated fat, very low carb regime.
The link below is from Barry Groves' excellent website and contains several
studies on low-carb very high fat regimes and the effect on type 2
diabetics:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/diabetes-5.html