From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 07:20:53 -0500
On Wed, 2 May 2001 21:33:45 -0400, Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Dave:

>>All of the statements about the depletion of the soil
>>is nice but your body only needs enough of each nutrient
>>and is very good at balancing itself if given a chance and
>>not interfered with. If anyone chooses to supplement
>>that is your choice but I consider
>>discussions of this on the list to be off topic.>>

I disagree with David that supplementing is off topic for a nutrition
list. I agree with David that supplementation *should* be no topic for
people on a actual paleo diet.

I myself ...
take Vitamin C supplements (made from fruit) from time to time,
as mostly I don't have the time to collect and clean enough rose hips.
And I shoot vitamin B12 since a few months because I unfortulaterly
cannot stop easily, once I begun "supplementing" it.

>..if taking supplements helps somebody stay on or
>transition to a paleodiet, it is important that
>this information is allowed to be shared..

okok. However there shouldn't be the *need* to supplement and I find
it important to point this out on paleolithic nutrition.
No pills were lying around in nature.

If someone had to supplement with anything to be able to stay
on "paleo" diet, then it is no paleo diet.

>Trying to emulate a paleodiet does not necessarily
>mean living as a caveman.

Or maybe we, or some are emulating a diet he or she only assumes to be
a paleodiet. And are just struggling to match a portrait of the
ancient times that's far from reality.

regards,

Amadeus S.
..and I know I am deviating from the actual paleo diet by avoiding the meat
(but I consider it less of deviation as beef is)

and my respect to David eating his meat raw as it must have been eaten
raw most of the time