From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 23:07:24 -0400
> Eating meat was highly regarded as a promoter of health by Adelle Davis
> back in 1965. She was a Weston Price affictionado as well. Altho' she
> promotes milk and grains, she means unrefined and raw.

And of course even in their unrefined and raw state these foods
are not paleo.

> The only difference between Neanderthin and her books is that we have gone
> so far away from nutritious eating the the 1990s that Neanderthin seems
> revolutionary. Earlier in this century it was called eating properly.

Up to a point.  If in 1900 you had told people that they
shouldn't eat bread, corn, milk, cheese, potatoes, turnips,
peanuts, etc., it would have seemed pretty revolutionary then,
too.

> The premise of Neanderthin, (more than just emphasizing meat-eating), is a
> warning-to stay away from refined foods most of which are carcinogenic.

No, that is not the premise of Neanderthin at all.  The premise
of Neanderthin is to stay away from foods that are inedible in
the raw state, which eliminates much more than refined foods.
In fact, "refining" means only separating a part of a natural
food from the whole food in which it is naturally found.  The
beef tallow that is rendered from suet is a refined ingredient.
Cave men would have had to eat the suet whole.  The coconut oil
that many of us use for cooking is likewise a refined product.
The same is true of olive oil.

Your remark above might, however, be a good summary of the basic
premise of Nourishing Traditions, by Enig and Fallon, but that is
quite a different nutritional philosophy from Neanderthin, even
if they overlap on certain items.

> Coronary Heart Disease by George V Mann, MD
> "Since the 1950's the medical establishment has been warning us that
> coronary heart disease is mainly caused by animal fat in our diet. But is
> this hypothesis really valid--or is it the greatest health scam of the
> century?"

Like Mann, I'm betting that there's a lot more to it.  We know
that certain saturated fats increase insulin resistance and
hyperinulinism, and we know that they can also elevate LDL
cholesterol.  We know that the cholesterol must be oxidized for
the formation of "foam" cells to occur, and the arteries must be
damaged for this material to adhere and cause plaques.  There is
evidence that elevated blood glucose damages arteries, as well as
high blood pressure.  It now appears that elevated homocysteine
also expedites this damage.  Elevated homocysteine is itself a
result of the sort of vitamin depletion that you describe.  So it
looks as though animal fats are just part of the picture.
Whether Neanderthin adequately addresses the other issues remains
to be seen.  Whether some non-paleo *whole* foods might do as
good a job or better is an open question, as far as I'm
concerned.

Todd Moody