Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:10:23 -0500
Robert Kesterson wrote:

> That is essentially correct.  I cleaned up my diet even before going
> paleo
> -- that was the same time that I got off the couch and rediscovered
> exercise.  The biggest change was that I dropped a bunch of
> bodyfat (some
> 55 lbs of it), but I believe that was mostly due to my strict
> attention to
> diet (particularly calories) and exercise.  I also dropped my blood
> pressure during that same timeframe.  This was a "clean" SAD
> diet.  I did
> not observe any additional health changes when switching to
> paleo.  But it
> wasn't that big a switch, either.  My "clean SAD" already
> avoided white
> sugar and white flour, pasta, starches (potatoes, etc), fried
> foods, and
> convenience foods.  So paleo wasn't a huge switch.

Ah, well that's a different matter. Wouldn't you agree that a "clean" SAD
diet that avoids white sugar, white flour, pasta, starches, fried foods and
convenience foods is not the same thing as the SAD? Isn't your "clean" SAD
diet closer to the general understanding of the Paleo diet, or at least to
traditional diets (as advocated by Weston Price), than to the SAD?

Instead of an exception to the rule that those who eat modern foods,
including lots of grains, will tend to have one or more of the symptoms of
modern foods syndrome (such as the "pudginess" I mentioned), isn't your case
of losing 55 lbs. after eliminating white flour, pasta and other modern
foods confirmation of the general rule? It sounds like my original post was
fairly on the mark in your case, with the possible exception being that I
might need to modify "lots of grains" to "lots of refined grains." Your move
to a Paleo diet from your "clean" SAD diet sounds more like the continuation
of a logical progression than a dramatic change in direction.