From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:37:46 -0500
On Sat, 24 Aug 2002 09:26:32 -0500, Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>http://www.lewrockwell.com/fontova/fontova36.html
>
>Exerpted from:   "Vegans" crusade not only against eating meat itself, but
>against the consumption of dairy products. So while vegetarians suffer from
>a Vitamin B-12 deficiency, these "vegans" are totally starved of one of the
>most essential elements to a properly functioning central nervous system.
>According to the Andrews University Nutrition Council (themselves
>vegetarians who take it in pill form), a vitamin B-12 deficiency leads to a
>range of serious psychiatric disorders. These include, "disorientation,
>depression, mood disturbances, irritability, memory loss, and
>dementia....Vitamin B12 deficiency is fairly common in the elderly and is
>associated with dementia and other neurological disorders seen in the
>geriatric population.... Vitamin B-12 is essential for the development of
>red blood cells and it plays an important role in the normal function of
the
>nervous system."

For a good complete info in Vitamin B12 I'd recommend to read
http://www.veganoutreach.org/health/b12.html

Well, I just checked it- it didn't work at the time.
:-)

Vitamin B12 supplementation is to be recommended for vegans.

Some last 5 some last 15 years without it.
Some may last even longer at low levels (below 100ng/mmol) since a little
b12 is made in the ileum and this could be assimilated in contrast to the
b12 made in the colon.
Dairy has B12, 1/2 liter for the daily needs.

regards

Amadeus