Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:11:33 -0400
The following quote caught my attention:

"I'm curious. Doesn't this seem like "the cure" that we
should expect from converting to paleo? In other
words:

1) the cat was not paleo
2) he got worms
3) the cat became paleo
4) he got rid of the worms.

Perhaps there is not a need at this point to even look
for a treatment because the cat has "treated himself"?"

I see cats that vomit worms every week. It seems like quite a stretch to
suggest the diet change instigated the vomiting. What usually happens is a
worm migrates into the stomach, causes irritation there and is vomited. It
could be a dying worm or simply a wayward one. I have also seen "paleo" cats
with parasites. Unfortunately, there parasite egg burden is no less that
those from cats eating commercial diets. I'm not arguing against feeding the
cat naturally, just suggesting the worms really don't care.

If the worm was a tapeworm, it may be it was the only one present and the
cat is now parasite-free. If it was an ascarid, it likely was not alone.
Given enough time and a healthy host, the worms will eventually die--some
from aging and some from the cat's immune system. My concern is for any
other cats exposed while this one is shedding, or any people (especially
children) that might be infected.

Hank