From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:17:33 -0700
>I would like to be able to make my own mayonnaise, using quality oils such as
>extra-virgin olive, flaxseed oil, maybe some nut oils. I realize this is
>still not purist paleo, but it is certianly better than the partially
>hydrogenated crap that is available comercially.....

>My question is, how do you deal with
>the salmonella threat from using raw eggs? Can the eggs be soft boiled long
>enough to make them safe, and still be used successfully in the mayonnaise?
>Thanks,
>Maddy Mason

Well, I just finished reading Ray's book for the first time, and he gives a
nice standard mayonnaise recipe using olive oil. Mayonnaise has been made
for ever so long, and it cannot be done with cooked eggs, as the emulsion
that makes it thick depends on the yolks and oil blending together in
another case of what always seems to me like "egg magic". If you are really
concerned, get some free-range eggs from a small supplier; they tend
towards less contamination. I suppose I'm just lucky, but I've eaten raw
and "rare" eggs from the supermarkets all my life and never gotten
diagnosibly ill from them.

ginny and Tomo, who eats the package they come in, too

All stunts performed without a net!