From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:21:24 -0700
>I'm sending you my response to your question privately because it's kind of
>lost in the shuffle at the paleo site.

I got it both on the list and privately -- did it maybe post later than when
you hit 'send'?

>I saw the whole thing.  It was hardly a debate though.  On one side, there
>was a doctor completely lying about the Atkins program (eat all the butter
>and bacon you want, etc etc) and Atkins' weight.

Unfortunately, Atkins lauded the ability to enjoy such foods all the way to
the end.  Anytime an Atkins critic comes along, TV editors can easily whip
out a such a soundbite and the critic say, "So there!"

>What the Physicians for Responsible Medicine (aka PETA!)....

You got THAT right!

>....neglected to mention is that Atkins' weightgain from fluid retention
>was also fully documented in the hospital
>records too.  This of course wasn't mentioned.

On the up side, I did see this properly addressed on the Today show, which
hits a far, FAR larger audience.  But yeah, PRM craftily leaves that out.
My question is -- when will the group be charged?  Leaking such information
is AGAINST THE LAW.

>[Rosedale described] what he considered the ideal diet to be:  adequate
>protein (gave
>no formula whatsoever for how to determine what's adequate), high "good"
>fat (ie not saturated) and low carb in the form of veggies.   I note that
>Rosedale's website info mentions that his plan is "low calorie" as well.

Which is what it takes to lose weight.  Eating mostly fat makes make eating
fewer calories far easier.  Adequate protein also prevents gluconeogenisis
which can impede weight loss.  Protein is what the body uses for repairs and
maintenance.  The ideal fuel is fat.

As for not giving his protein formula, remember, this was live television --
to go that far is a big mistake.  You've only got so much time.  Ron lives
in infamy for giving virtually unlimited detail when speaking at the podium.
  I'm glad he was short/sweet/point!  THAT'S what makes the editors and
producers call you the next time.  Good, bad or indifferent, this is the
soundbite generation.

>He sounds kind of like Cordain only much lower protein.

Actually, no.  Ron recommends far, far more fat calories than Cordain.

>Anyway, have you experienced success with Rosedale's plan Dori, and if so,
>could
>you post a typical day's menus?

My own formula is 60g protein/day, never more than 15g at a time.  Fat and
vegetables?  Just enjoy.  Have I followed it to a tee?  I'll admit, no, not
lately.  I'm going through three very, VERY stressful ordeals at the moment
that I'd rather not mention.  I've juuuust started to exercise at the gym so
my protein intake can rise but I don't yet know how much -- Ron's very busy
working on things I'm not at liberty to mention, although I can say he's
traveling a lot at the moment.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO

Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
http://special.msn.com/home/firsthome.armx