From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 05:45:39 -0400
On Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:50:01 -0500, Ward Nicholson
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Half-plant/half-animal hybrids that
>look like chickens or cows but have roots rather than feet? It's every
>vegetarian's--probably even a few compassionate non-vegetarians'--worst
>nightmare come true. And it could all happen soon thanks to
>out-of-control biotech corporations if this report is to be believed.

Ward, this is in the humor section, isn't it ("Back to Humor & Satire")?

I confess, many years ago i thought it to be a goal, if "meat" could
be "grown" in some sort of cultures handing at a supply of some sort
(like apple-tree roots).

T-bone apples?? ehhmm could the apple show muscles then? or jump around?

Well, meanwhile I'd consider it a horror scenario of such a apple had genes
which would make it to grow a cows muscle cells and cows structural fat.

Because of the dangers of genetic "engeneering" (better try-and-error-ing).

Like in the yellow rice with carotene genes. Why the heck do they experiment
with such dangers instead of just planting a few carrots nearby???

Looking in detail at the nutrients of a T-bone steak or an apple
i can only detect worsening than any move to the better.
The only thing animal *muscle* has in advance of a plain apples (of the same
tree-energy used) is vitamin b12. But vitamin b12 is made by bacteria in
guts and on the surface of plants. It will not be increased in the
t-bone-apple.
And all that deletiorous beef fat would be re-engeneered? ok. ok.

DHA is not in the t-bone steak analysis, just traces of AA.
Maybe they would better "engeneer" all that vitamin constructing genes
or thought-to-be vitamin substances like carnitin, taurin, long chain EFAs
into the apple to create a supplement making plant.
(double sense plant :-)).

If you don't trust your body to synthesize it himself.
Or if you plan to undermine its synthesizing capabilities by
oversupplying storage fats  (in relation to simple EFAs).
Or trans-fats or other toxins (in the case of EPA/DHA).

But it may be preferrable to eat fish oil capsules instead of
an apples tasting fishy or t-boney.

Please don't mind a short attack of humor after a serious theme.
Thanks good this shurely all belongs to the satire section.

yours

Amadeus Schmidt