From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:24:39 -0800
On Thursday, Dec 16, 2004, at 13:30 US/Pacific, Elizabeth Hawxhurst
wrote:
> 1. Improved digestion and reduction of gas!  This makes me very happy.

Yep, that's great! We have many celiac, Crohn's, IBD and IBS former
sufferers here, all successfully resolved.

> 2. At first I felt pleasantly full at all times, never stuffed to the
> gills
> and never ravenous.  However, for the past day or so I've been aware
> of an
> increasing hunger.  I found myself scavenging the chicken skin that
> baked on
> the pan last night, and I constantly go to the kitchen looking for
> another
> snack.  Is it normal to experience hunger for the first week (or two or
> three) as your body adjusts?  I have not experienced any cravings for
> bread
> or sweets, I am just uncomfortably aware of hunger.

I'll agree you could eat more meat and fat. I think fruit is fine, but
only one piece at a time, and watch out for the concentrated sugars in
dried fruit; you can get a big rush off them without much effort.

> 3. .... I am hoping that perhaps it will just take a short time for
> my body to get itself in order, but I was under the impression that the
> palpitations were a rather immediate response.  Maybe I should eat
> less fruit?

Have you had your thyroid values checked? Low thyroid, even not
terribly low, can cause palpitations. I had them long after going
Paleo, and they are completely gone on thyroid meds. But quitting carbs
should help a lot, and yes, it could take a while for your pancreatic
and hormonal stuff to readjust.

> 3.  For the women out there, does eating Paleo affect your menstrual
> cycle
> at all?  No need to answer if it makes you uncomfortable.

Mine are long gone now, but Paleo lessened PMS and duration of periods,
and made things much smoother. I feel strongly it helped with the
transition of menopause as well.

> Somewhat unrelated to my own diet, my boyfriend is slightly overweight,
> asthmatic, allergic to everything...basically everything that can be
> cured
> with the paleodiet!  He will not try it though, as he eats out every
> day for
> lunch at work and thinks it will be too hard.  He is also worried about
> cholesterol - I keep reassuring him that it will go DOWN, not up, but
> he is
> very skeptical.

He needs to do some reading on cholesterol. These might get him
started. There is some redundancy and cross-linking in here, I'm afraid.

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cvd_index.html

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/statin_index.html

http://www.westonaprice.org/sitemap.html - pick out all the articles
under the section - Know Your Fats

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/statin.html

http://www.medicaltruth.com/pdf-files/CholesterolMyth.PDF

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

Good luck, and stick to it; it works, is right for us, and will make
you feel much better.

ginny
All stunts performed without a net!