Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:28:46 +0900
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> Homogenization appears to be one major problem with commercial milk.
> The smaller fat droplets in homogenized milk have some reports of problems.

Goat milk is naturally homogenised, the fat globules are
much smaller than untreated cow milk.

Pasturezation gets a bad rap, it may be the cause of many
problems, but when it was instituted, there was a very good
reason for it. Cows get tuberculosis, and pass it on in
their milk. The famous hunchback is a result of milk-spread
tuberculosis which deforms the spine of infants who get it.

It is a trade off. A good one at that time. With modern
testing tuberculosis is nearly extinct in dairy cows, so
maybe it is time to rethink pasturization as well.

I do love fresh, unpasturized milk, from grass-fed cows. It
is nearly unrecognisable if you have only seen the
supermarket stuff. Yellow, foamy, thick, sweet, with a
distinct pungent odor and flavor. My kids would reject it
instantly, I imagine...  ;--)