From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:21:14 -0700
> Dear Wally,
 >   I would be very interested .....I will look up the book you recommended on 4 season gardening.

Thanks for the props, but it was Robert K who mentioned the book

> If you want more detail, email me off the list (I don't want to get too far off topic on here)

Personally, I don't consider this off-topic - especially when compared to some of the other topics regularly introduced.

>Unless you have south-facing windows (or very bright artificial lighting), you probably won't have enough light >for most vegetables.

I do have some smaller south facing windows. I really do wish I'd been able to incorporate a sun-room into the design of my house when it was built, but finances at that time wouldn't permit it. The south facing windows do provide a lot of solar heating, but their location is not conducive to indoor gardening.

We did create a space closer to the center of the house for an atrium. My wife's sister introduced her to the AeroGarden hydroponic system, and we do have 4 of those units (my prior reference to "experimenting with hydroponics"). At first it was great - especially when they introduced the "cages" to allow for your own seed and seedlings. But the yield from these timy contraptions is so minimal it really becomes more of a hobby than a serious attempt at indoor gardening. If the units were about 4 times their size they would actually work quite well.