Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:43:45 -0700
R > I don't doubt that, I was just surprised to hear that
gluconeogenesis would cease.

The only point of the process is to convert *excess* protein to a usable
energy source.  If you only provide enough protein to meet repair needs,
there's no excess.  As Rosedale says, "The human body was never meant to
use sugar as its primary fuel."  That would be sugar obtained via
dietary carbohydrate or sugar via gluconeogenesis.  And don't forget
that gluconeogenesis produces certain harmful by-products, which is why
Atkins detractors have been partially right in their criticisms.  The
ideal day-in-and-day-out diet is zero to very low carb, moderate
protein, and high quality fats.

Jim