From:
"Paula H." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:19:03 -0500
First, I don't know how someone looses weight - are they setting it free?
But, there are many individual testimonies of folks who could not otherwise
control their appetites finally being able to lose weight via ketosis
through low carb eating.

I can affirm what Kim has written.  7 1/2 years ago I went on a low carb
diet and I lost 72 pounds in 1 1/2 years.  Ketosis gave me the ability for
the first time since puberty to control my eating.  I had come to believe
that I was deeply flawed in character - an uncontrollable glutton, but low
carb eating showed me that my problem was mainly physiological.  Large
carbohydrate consumption for me makes me ravenous.  Over the past 6 years I
have kept off the weight and lost an additional 5 pounds.  I eat basically
paleo, but I keep my carbs at 70 or under per day - so I no longer think I
am in ketosis.  Almost all my carbs are eaten as vegetables and fruits.
Limiting carbs, and especially deleting grains and sugars has made a huge
improvement in my health as well.  My SLE (lupus) symptoms have disappeared
by about 85-90%.  Since I have changed my eating I have been on no
prescription medical for my lupus - the longest period I have ever gone
since my diagnosis in  1973.  Additionally, blood work last May revealed a
cholesterol level of 165, HDL at 63, LDL at 94, Triglycerides at 29.

All I can say is that I have come to learn from others on this list that
response to ketosis is an individual thing, but I am thriving on low carb
paleo eating.

Paula H.

I am not telling you this to argue, but to give you my experiences.  A few
years ago, I went on the Atkins Diet and stayed on the Induction stage (less
than 20 g. carbs) for a year and lost 120 lbs.  I have never felt better in
my life.  I did not eat fruit and the only veges I ate were an occasional
salad or green beans.  I drank Atkins shakes for breakfast and ate meat for
lunch and dinner.  I also ate nuts, cheese, and had butter and salad
dressings.  The only exercise I got was that I walked 20-30 min. every day
at a leisurely pace.  Like I said above, I never felt better and had a great
deal of energy.