From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:25:42 -0700
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000 05:17:21 -0400, Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>At last meat "industry" is it who IMO changed animal eating to the worse in
>two aspects
>1. from: the challenge of hunting and the conscious decision "you or me"
>   with some holy respect for the prey
>   to: just go to the supermarket, buy meat with the only limitation of
>   money, and have others do what now are cruelties

While this sounds romantic, it is not very rational.

If you apply this same reasoning, we should be:

- Growing, felling, and stripping our own trees to build our own houses.
- Digging our own well for water (severely limits possible housing locations -
my well is 150 feet deep!)

etc. etc.

Clearly, electronics is impossible if you apply this concept, so we would not be
discussing this !

Which means there would be no Paleo Diet.

Thus, what would happen would be that eventually someone would rediscover
agriculture, civilization would occur, and eventually there would be meat
packers and slaughterhouses all over again.   And then there would be computers
and this mailing list would again appear....

For civilization to occur, you must have specialization, ie computer makers
supply your computer, book publishers supply your books, and food makers supply
your food.

Within that framework, the specific matter of animal cruelty in the meat
industry can be addressed (and it is) without having to disassemble civilization
altogether.

--
Cheers,

Ken