From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:45:41 EDT
In a message dated 10/18/01 4:01:17 PM, Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  I also sometimes completely cheat in
the form of eating chocolate or cider donuts or a peanut butter cookie.  If I
try to completely deny myself these things, I just end up bingeing on them,
so I have them whenever I want, and that's not so often.  When it's a small
part of the diet, I find it doesn't make much difference in terms of health.
My diet is mainly meat, low-carb veggies, and fresh fruit.  I eat no packaged
junk food at all because I don't like it.

Hi Sheryl,

I lived like this for several years also, and I am now paying a price for
those infrequent cheats. The reason, for me, is that I have discovered that I
DO have Celiac Disease. If this is the case, then even a tiny cheat once or
twice a month will prevent your intestines from ever really healing, and will
perpetuate many of the symptoms caused by it. You need to find out for sure
if you do have CD, and, if so, scrupulous gluten avoidance for the rest of y
our life is of paramount importance.

I fully understand how important it is to have an occasional indulgence to
prevent bingeing altogether, but if you have CD, you can "have your cake and
eat it too" because there are so many wonderful foods out there now made
gluten free, including every kind of baked goodies you can imagine. My diet,
like yours, is mainly meat, low carb veggies and berries, and coconut, some
nuts. One of my favorite goodies is Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, which as it
turns out, are gluten free. So I can have my rare treat, maybe once or twice
a month, and still not destroy my body with anything containing gluten.

BTW, if you do get the blood screening for Celiac Disease, you must actively
be consuming gluten for the tests to be accurate. Some people decide they'll
go on a gluten free diet for several weeks or a month or so, and then decide
it hasn't helped much. The problem is, it can take 3 to 6 months for a gluten
damaged intestine to heal, and in some older or very sick individuals, up to
2 years.

HTH!
Warmly,
Maddy Mason