Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:39:34 -0400
> Also, one of the relatives was on Doxopan HCL or something like that as a
> sleep medication and absolutely swore by it.
>
> Has anyone heard of this med? I'm wondering what the side effects are.

Hi Mary,

The med is called Doxepin.  It is a tricyclic antidepressant with heavy
sedative effects.  It's used for people with depression or anxiety or
depression or anxiety due to organic disease or alcoholism.  It is also used
for psychotic depressive disorders with associated anxiety, including
involutional depression and manic-depressive disorders.  It is sometimes
used for chronic, severe neurogenic pain. and  dermatologic disorders
including chronic urticaria, angioedema, and nocturnal pruritus due to
atopic eczema.

   Doxepin has a high incidence of side effects, including a high degree of
sedation, decreased libido, extrapyramidal symptoms, dermatitis, pruritus,
fatigue, weight gain, edema, paresthesia, breast engorgement, insomnia,
tremor, chills, tinnitus, and photophobia.

   I am highly opposed to pharmaceutical drugs, but, even evaluating this
drug using mainstream medicine's standards, this drug should be used as a
last line of defense due to the high incidence of side effects.  Your
relative claims to be using it for sleep only??  It would be rare that it
would be prescribed for that reason.

I hope this helps.

Blessings,
Siobhan