From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:03:00 -0700
> The word comes first, and then
> the dictionary documents
> it as best able.

No, the reality comes first, then the concept, then
the word, then the "accepted definition" (which the
dictionary maps). Definitions are listed from the most
accepted to the least accepted. The first defnition is
generally also the consensus definition. It is assumed
to mean the same thing by the majority of people who
use the word. Otherwise we would be spending more time
than is necessary in ordinary, everyday conversation
trying to define and describe what we are talking
about. That way if I say "I to my car to get fixed" I
do not have to explain that I am talking about an
automobile rather than a railroaqd car, or an elevator
car, or a chariot, carriage, or cart. Unless, of
course, I am in a location where automobiles are
scarce - but, then it's my responsibility as a speaker
to know my audience rather than expecting my audience
to guess what it is I'm talking about.

http://health.yahoo.com