From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:10:58 -0700
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:47:13 -0700, Wally Day <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Good point. Ask them "why" they are vegan/vegetarians.
>What I have found is those who answer primarily "for
>health reasons" are much more likely to be the normal,
>calm, civilized individuals like Amadeus. However, if
>they answer with some pro-animal-anti-meat-industry
>drivel, it is likely you should just grab your steak
>and run. Case in point: There is a vegetarian
>restaurant in the same building as my office. *Most*
>of the restaurant staff fit into the latter category.
>I am always amazed at how they can fly off the handle
>at the mere mention of eating meat, and then calm
>themselves by having a smoke outside in the alley.
>Real concerned about their health, aren't they?

The problem I have with this breakdown is that the philosophical objection to
eating animals ultimately boils down to a difference of viewpoint, while, on
the other hand, the health reasons for vegetarianism are factually incorrect.

For example, in traditional Catholicism, one gives up eating meat from time to
time as a form of penance or sacrifice.   Someone could do that for life, and
then that would just be what they are personally doing in their life.

On the other hand, it bothers me when people want to do what is healthiest for
them, but cannot succeed because a) other people distribute disinformation in
order to promote their "cause", or b) medical authorities knowingly or
negligently distribute wrong information in order to preserve their careers -
something which has been going on for hundreds of years (or maybe even
thousands of years - knowing human nature, I'm sure some shamans distributed
bogus cures when they did not know a real cure).

--
Cheers,

Ken