From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 06:33:38 -0500
On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 05:31:45 EDT, Elizabeth Miller <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>There are prople who drink an enormous amount of raw milk (Masai) yet have
>low rates of cancer. Could the problem really reside in the pasteurization
>process that damaging the protein and homogenization (fractionated the fat
>molecules). Sally Fallon and Weston A Price both describe milk drinking
>cultures that seemingly had little or no cancer -- but they all used milk
>that was raw and from dairy cows that were pastured.

Homogenization appears to be one major problem with commercial milk.
The smaller fat droplets in homogenized milk have some reports of problems.
The small fat droplets seem to include a deleterious enzyme which can enter
into the body through them.

Paseurization - I thought about this too. All ill milk effects described go
onto commercial milk - which is almost always pasteurized or even
homogenized. Massai surely don't do that, and Loethschenthal people surely
also not. Heat which even kills bacteria in the milk should be able to
completely damage natural milk molecules.

Fedder of the cows IMO is the biggest problem. A "modern" cow generates milk
out of 3/4 of all food energy and protein the cow eats. Turbo-Cows.
Boy that is much. Can a cow really rearrange the proteins of so much fedder
proteins to natural milk? All the scandals of animal husbandry in the last
years come from the fedder. Including BSE.
Milk from pasture fed cows should be very different.
The same applies to goat and sheep too of course.
There are industry goats which are fed just like cows are fed.

There is unhomogenized milk available, unpasteurized milke much more seldom,
and it's decreasing (in the EU a ban on unpasteurized cheeses is to be
feared). Pasture fed milk should be hard to get.
Could be easier from sheep and very small producers.

Fat from commercially produced milk (cream, butter) is clearly much too
short on EFAs. Almost only SFA. The EFAs have a good proportion of w-6 to
w-3, but it's so little (1%) that according to Erasmus it's EFA activity is
diminished. (Like it would be for beef fat).
Olive oil is similar. It has a very good EFA ratio (w-6/w-3) but relatively
small quantities.
The EFAs of Olive oil are enough if it was the only oil.
But if much of lower EFA fat is added (like butter or slaughter fat) it
could easily fall below the treshhold of minimum EFA percentage.

regards,

Amadeus