From:
Kristina Carlton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:42:55 -0800
> Are you a nose breather or a mouth breather? I was a mouth breather
> from childhood on, I literally couldn't get enough air through my nose
> to live on. After starting paleo that radically changed. Especially
> doing low carb really helped. Now I sleep very comfortably breathing
> only through my nose, whereas before I had to keep a cup of water next
> to the bed my mouth was always so dry.

I was a mouth breather until I was about 12 years old which is when I had my adnoids removed. Now I breathe through my nose during the day, but still breathe through my mouth at night. I was wondering how I can break that habit at night. Last year I tested positive for antinuclear antibodies. So much so that my doc thought I had lupus or some other autoimmune disease but those test all came back negative. He said dry mouth is often an indication with autoimmune diseases. I wondered if that has something to do with it.

> I had that before paleo, but two days on high meat low carb stopped it.
>   Some people complain of constipation on low carb but it was the
> opposite for me. If I eat bread or junk food a few days in a row I go
> right back to stinky gas and constipation though.
>
> If you are constipated on low carb I suggest an apple with every meal.
> It worked for me, and it is a lot better than psyllium I think.

Well, I wonder if I am not eating enough fat. Although, I eat all proteins, I eat the fat on meat, pork, etc. and I add 3 to 5 tablespoons of coconut oil to my diet, plus olive oil or flax seed oil on my salads.