From:
Jerry Stegenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:41:09 EST
In a message dated 2/8/2004 11:50:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
> Theola
> I suggest you read this before you give up the good fat with the bad.
> Is farmed salmon a risk, or will it keep you in the pink?

My question....Read What?
The bottom line was a Hyperlink but did not transmit as one. One of the
programs blocked it.

This is the article.
 Is farmed salmon a risk, or will it keep you in the pink?

Sunday, January 18, 2004
By Michael Woods, Post-Gazette National Bureau

A consumer's dilemma hit millions of salmon lovers smack in the face earlier
this month when scientists reported high levels of pollutants in farm-raised
salmon. That's the affordable salmon, which now ranks as America's favorite
fish, aside from canned tuna and shrimp.
Should they still snare a slab of farmed salmon for $4-$5 a pound at the
supermarket, and order the restaurant's grilled salmon special? Or is it safer to
pay sticker-shock prices for grown-up-in-the-wild fish?
Should they still eat salmon at least twice a week for its heart healthy
omega-3 fats, as the American Heart Association long has recommended? Or should
they heed the new study's advice and limit consumption?
The study, headed by Dr. Ronald A. Hites of Indiana University and published
in the journal Science, compared pollutant levels in more than two tons of
farmed and wild salmon from different areas of the world.
Farmed salmon contained levels of 13 pollutants that averaged 11 times higher
than those in wild salmon. The researchers concluded that people could safely
eat the most heavily contaminated salmon only six times a year.
The pollutants, termed dioxin-like compounds, or DLCs, are found everywhere
in the environment. Fish and other animals absorb them in food, and the
chemicals build up in their fat. Humans pick them up mainly from eating fish, meat
and dairy products. Farmed salmon get DLCs from the fish chow used to fatten
them in pens.
Scientists suspect that high levels of DLCs can increase the risk of certain
cancers, harm the developing brains of fetuses and infants, and produce other
unhealthy effects.
Farmed salmon is raised in net-enclosed pens in coastal areas of northern
Europe, North America and Chile. Fish farming changed salmon from a pricey
seasonal delicacy into a deliciously affordable year-round staple. But it also
stirred fierce controversy because the farms put fishermen out of work and damaged
local environments.
In deciding whether to eat salmon, consumers should know that the latest
study found only a small increase in risk, according to Dr. Charles Santerre, an
authority on chemical contaminants in food at Purdue University who was not
involved in the research.
"The risks were extremely low -- on the order of 1 in 100,000," Santerre said
in an interview. "That means if 100,000 people ate eight ounces of
farm-raised salmon twice a week for 70 years, contaminants in the fish would cause one
additional case of cancer. The cancer risk from salmon is small compared to the
benefits on the heart."
The study will have no immediate effect on the heart association's
recommendation, first issued in 1996, that people eat salmon and other fatty fish at
least twice a week.
Dr. Alice Lichtenstein of Tufts University, a member of the heart association
nutrition panel that drafts such recommendations, said the new study probably
will be discussed at the group's next meeting in April.
"Right now, cardiovascular disease is still the leading cause of death in the
United States," she said in an interview. "For most of the population, the
risk of cardiovascular disease far outweighs the risk of these contaminants."
The heart association "scientific statement" on fish consumption, updated in
2002, points out that omega-3 fatty acids, like those in salmon, seem to
reduce the risk of heart attacks and of sudden death from heart attacks.
About 1.1 million people suffer a heart attack each year in the United
States, and 500,000 die. Half are sudden deaths, occurring within an hour of the
first symptoms and before the person reaches a hospital.
The recommendations state that people should eat not just salmon but a wide
variety of fish to minimize exposure to mercury and other contaminants. Good
sources of omega-3 fats include tuna, mackerel and other oily fish; cod liver
oil; and walnuts and flaxseeds. Pills containing fish oil and other omega-3
supplements also are available.
Liechtenstein noted that the guidelines advise consumers to be aware of both
the risks and benefits of fish consumption in their particular stage of life.
For children and pregnant women, for instance, who have a low heart attack
rate, the risks from contaminants in fish may outweigh the benefits of omega-3s.
For older men and women, who have a higher risk of heart attack, the benefits
"far" outweigh the risk, the guidelines state.
Dr. Robert Lawrence of Johns Hopkins University noted another way in which
the salmon study can help consumers fine-tune their decisions. He chaired a
National Academy of Sciences panel that in 2003 considered ways to reduce DLCs in
the food supply.
"The salmon study has now provided some of the much-needed data to guide
consumers on their choice of salmon, based on geographic origin and whether farmed
or wild," he said in an interview.
Consider geography. The highest DLC levels were in salmon farmed in Northern
Europe, followed by North America and Chile (where levels in farmed salmon
were only slightly higher than in wild salmon).
About 56 per cent of the farmed salmon sold in the United States comes from
Chile, 36 per cent from Canada, and only 7 per cent from Europe, according to
Santerre. His advice to those concerned about the DLC risk: Check the country
of origin when buying or ordering salmon.
The national academy study concluded that limiting fish consumption was not
the right solution to DLC contamination because of the health benefits of
omega-3 fats. It called for measures to reduce DLCs in farmed and wild fish.
That can be done, Lawrence said, by changing ingredients in the fish chow
used on commercial salmon farms. Salmon feed now is made from meal and oil
obtained from small marine fish that contain DLCs. Processing further concentrates
the DLCs. Some fish chow contains rendered fat from cows and other animals,
which also contains DLCs.
"The real story here is that current practices of farmed salmon are not
sustainable and have important human health and ecosystem impacts," Lawrence said.
"The industry has to change the way it harvests and makes fish food to break
the cycle of DLCs entering the human food supply."
Commercial salmon farmers say they are changing their practices.
SalmonChile, the industry group for Chilean companies, which produce
one-third of the world's salmon, said DLC levels dropped by 28 percent between 1998
and 2001.
The study results may not accurately reflect contamination levels today
because the samples were bought in 2001, the group said, noting that further
reductions have occurred over the past two years.