Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:25:11 -0700
Wayne > I know if I eat too much carbs but I am not very conscient of
eating too  much protein.  How does your body react to too much
protein?

Excess protein -- above three of four pack of cards sized portions a day
-- is converted to glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis.  So you
get increases in blood sugar and consequent increases in insulin.  The
consequences of hyperinsulinemia are varied but include the Diseases of
Civilization, or Syndrome X.  And, as Cordain has recently shown, it can
also include items as diverse as skin tags, acne, and certain types of
cancers.

There are also many who claim that excess protein causes bone loss and
kidney and liver problems.  Todd made a good case here, though, that
such claims are lacking in evidence.