From:
thetasig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 18:30:10 -0800
Maddy Mason, Accord, NY wrote:

> I don't see where a "holier than thou" attitude is supportive of those
> struggling with the difficulties of trying to eat a Paleo type diet in our modern
> world. We are dealing with a lifetime of socially and physically ingrained
> eating habits, and bombarded with an unending onslaught of commercials for fast
> foods, while being surrounded with all manner of tempting non-Paleo goodies in
> our everyday lives.
>
> "Just saying No" is much easier said than done. And when it comes right down
> to it, I don't think any of us is eating "only the foods that are naturally
> supplied for us". This would entail living in a cave in the wilderness
> somewhere, and hunting and gathering from the wild fare available, without the
> convenience of refrigerators, bottled olive oil, and Teflon frying pans. These foods
> are not naturally supplied to us in our local supermarkets. That is the whole
> point of this list- approximating a Paleo lifestyle within the confines of a
> distorted contemporary world.
>
> Those who are content to eat the most Spartan of diets without any discomfort
> or yearnings earn my highest respect. But for the vast majority of us, I see
> nothing wrong with using natural, healthy Paleo sort of ingredients to
> approximate a "Frankenfood" treat that we otherwise would deem "poisonous" to eat.

It is akin to toilet-training a tot.  One keeps putting them back on the
toilet until the idea sinks in and it is no longer an "unatural" act to
the toddler.

I certainly realize how difficult it is to stick to any particular diet,
or regimen, as I prefer to say.  One thing I've learned is that I need
to keep reminding myself and training my instincts to choose better
foods.  There are times that I override those instinct when old habits
rear their heads.

I have found that, over time, I more and more eat fewer of the "old"
foods that used to tantalize me.  Even better, my instinctual cravings
and my tastes are slowly changing for the better.  I now cringe at the
taste of a grilled burger but salivate for a raw bison sirloin steak.

When I venture out into the world I always try to carry a raw fruit or
veggie with me so when I see all of the ads and non-paleo goodies I
reach into my pocket and munch on an apple or blueberries, say, to take
my mind off of other tempting foods.

And, not to put too fine a point on it, but this list is not about
approximating a Paleo lifestyle.  It is about Paleolithic eating.
Thankfully that means we do not have to go out and find a cave to call
"home."  <grin>

Regards,

-=mark=-