From:
Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 15:45:31 MDT
>It could be that the virus is an additional cause for obesity that may
>be concurrent with stress and poor diet. It will be interesting to see
>if the virus really is a cause of obesity. In a rare case it may be the
>major cause. I'll wait and see what the researchers find out.

The first thing that came to my mind was the chicken/egg phenomenon.
Wouldn't an obese person have a lower autoimmune response than someone at,
or closer to, his ideal weight, leaving them more prone to a contracting the
virus?  I just scanned the article; perhaps that was addressed.  In my
dreams, the virus WOULD be a primary cause and there would be a happy little
pill, but I won't bet the farm on it.

Dori Zook
Denver, CO