From:
Michael Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 21:25:13 -0600
These days, the tree is now considered to be a bush by some.

`

> >Todd Moody opined:
> >This is idiotic.  Man-like?  Gorillas were here first; they
> >should be well adapted to their food supply.
>
> This statement is uninformed and unprovable.

All assertions about evolution are uprovable.  It is not,
however, uninformed.

> The most
> current thought is that modern-era primates descended
> from a common ancestor, not from each other.

I didn't say otherwise, but the gorillas branched off before we
did, at least according to our best current understanding.

> As for
> "well adapted", the huge guts of gorillas and orang-utans
> likely indicates the need for processing large amounts
> of low-nutrient food, i.e. vegetation mostly. The huge
> guts of some humans points toward an unsuitable or incom-
> patible diet, at least according to Paleofood theory.

Did I write something that leads you to believe that I disagree
with this?

> But then the originator of the "Bambi-cheese" conjecture
> often makes such uninformed and unprovable assertions
> based on logic or philosophy, not on scientific evidence.

Who is the originator of that conjecture?  Do you think it's me?
If so, you are wrong.

> At any rate, humans diverged from what became apes long
> ago, and we have our own unique problems & issues.

Exactly.  This is an excellent argument against generalizations
about the "primate diet" as well.

Todd Moody