From:
Charles Alban <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 12:58:46 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 It's logical that our bodies would need a mechanism to alert us that we
 need to eat. I'm just curious about what is physiologically going on. I'm
 trying to learn to eat more instinctively, and becoming more alert to
 subtle cues and clues about hunger is part of that.

Good question. I think a lot of the stomach response to hunger is more of a
trained response than anything else. In other words, your stomach expects
food at a certain time, because normally you eat at fixed times. If however,
you break this daily cycle, and either say fast for five days, or simply eat
at different times, these hunger pangs will go away. For instance, if you
hike for say six hours, you won't feel hungry.

Charles
San Diego, CA