From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 22:46:17 -0500
There was concern  expressed in a post earlier today that supermarket
meat is problematic (antibiotics, etc.)  I am also concerned in that
regard and wonder if anyone knows if there are less such feed problems
relative to the buffalo that is not all that hard to get these days in
my neck of the woods.
    I was browsing the archives of thre paleodiet list and found a very
well documented essay by Staffan Lindeberg  discussing problems
intrinsic to Eskimo populations;  it surprises me that there is much
emulation of that diet since it seems to be somewhat aberational by
definition.  It is my understanding that the arctic hunters occupied
that region  during the past few thousand years and are not a model for
the majority of paleo populatiojns that would have occupied the lower
and middle latitudes and evloved wiht much more accessible vegetation
resources;  with all of the research touting high fiber benefits doesn't
it make sense that most people are asking for trouble to neglect that
aspect of the paleo diet ?  I have a  field guide to wild edible  plants
and wonder if anyone is honing their skill in exploiting that food
resource;  I have read about the mega levels of antioxidants available
from many wild plant foods and have to believe that the hypothetical
good helath of paleo populations must have been in part reliant upon the
huge amount of fiber and megadoses of  vitamin c,a,e,  minerals, etc.
Any recommendations as to the best wild pickings now that spring is
busting out all over???
Rick